Since 1972, Emergency Physicians of Tidewater has proudly served Hampton Roads, providing emergency care to our community. As one of the largest democratic groups in Virginia, EPT is a practice built on clinical and service excellence, with an additional focus on physician longevity. Emergency Physicians of Tidewater is an equitable, democratic physician partnership.
The group is run by a Board of Directors, who are elected by the EPT partnership. The Board meets monthly, with direction and leadership provided by an elected President. Both the President and the Board have defined terms of service. Representation on the Board is from all levels of the practice, including the physicians in their pre-partnership years with the group. While we provide excellent clinical care, we are also committed to individual lifestyles and are able achieve that with close attention to the business aspects of the practice.
While most of the group prefers to work primarily at one or two hospitals, we have the opportunity to work clinically at each of our hospitals. Most shifts vary from 8 to 9 hours in length, with a limited number 10 and 12-hour shifts. Most shifts also have double or triple provider coverage, with attending, residents and/or APP’s. We have 2 physicians and one APP assigned on call every day as needed for shift coverage in times of illness or emergency, or additional help during an exceedingly busy shift.
We have a flexible schedule that is produced quarterly, and is generated with the help of the online scheduling product Shift Admin. We offer a differential for physicians who choose to do all midnight shifts. Shifts are distributed equitably, regardless of seniority, with the exception of members over fifty: they are not required to work midnights. New members of the group are hired as employees for two pre-partnership years.
As a partnership, we hope that most physicians who join us plan to spend their career with and retire from EPT. We are looking for physicians who have a long-term interest in partnership and can contribute to the overall quality of our practice.
EPT is a dynamic, stable group with a tremendous variety of practice opportunities. We maintain high standards in all of our endeavors.
With a mix of academic, inner city, rural, and community EDs, EPT provides the flexibility that allows physicians to choose a facility based on patient acuity, ED flow, resident coverage and trauma designation.
EPT provides the faculty for the Department of Emergency Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School and the residency program is at the heart of the group. EM residents from EVMS rotate at Sentara Norfolk General, Sentara Virginia Beach General and Sentara Obici hospitals. Additionally, residents from the Portsmouth Naval Hospital EM Residency rotate at Sentara Virginia Beach General And Sentara Leigh Hospital. All of our physicians have appointments at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Many of our faculty are nationally recognized for their teaching skills. The group provides 24 hours per day onsite clinical supervision at all of our training sites. Residents are provided increasing levels of responsibility and autonomy as they progress through the program, all under faculty supervision.
Norfolk | Virginia Beach | Suffolk
EPT employees enjoy the local, coastal living in the Hampton Roads area, as well as the added perk of having an area rich in US history, quaint towns, and mountains just a short drive away.
- Festivals on the Elizabeth River
- Virginia Aquarium – Virginia Beach
- Virginia Zoo – Norfolk
- Outdoor Venues
- Pungo Strawberry Festival
- 3 mile oceanfront boardwalk
- First Landing State Park
- Breweries, Urban Winery, Distilleries
- Art Districts: Museums, Venues, and Galleries
- Watersports & Boating on the Elizabeth River, Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean
- Chesapeake Bay and Oceanfront beaches & homes
- Minor League Baseball & Hockey
- Great Dismal Swamp
- Thriving Downtown Norfolk
- Golf Courses
- Botanical Gardens
- Nationally ranked high schools and universities
- Close to Colonial Williamsburg
- Close to Jamestown
- Boutiques and full-scale malls
- Family-owned businesses
- Rural areas of Suffolk
- Flexible Schedule
- Leadership and resident teaching opportunities
- Bedside teaching, SIM lab, mock oral boards, lectures
- Many options of involvement within the group
- Teaching, lectures, board representation, committee membership, etc.
- Employees have the option to pursue our 2-year track to partnership
- Top Ranked Regional Retirement Plan
- Doctor of Medicine degree (M.D.)
- Board Eligible (ABEM or ABOEM certification) in Emergency Medicine
- Licensed to practice medicine and surgery in the Commonwealth of Virginia or ability to obtain your VA License